Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epilogue inspired by Peter’s presentation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epilogue inspired by Peter’s presentation.

The curious 20th century aberration in cultural science that led briefly to such bizarre phenomena as women practicing medicine, sitting as judges—even serving as premier of our commonwealth, incomprehensible as that seems to you young men today—and filling male roles throughout society, can be rather easily explained. Men are by nature kind and considerate, and a charming woman’s eagerness to play at being a physician or a politician or a scientist can be both amusing and endearing; we can understand, looking back upon the period, how it must have seemed that there could be no harm in humoring the ladies.

We know how often women’s antics provided us with occasions for laughter—very welcome in the otherwise serious business of running this instruction.

It may seem radical—I know I will be hearing from some of my more conservative colleagues—but I am inclined to feel that I might welcome a little of that same comic relief today. Life is such a grim business; a laugh now and then, especially if the source is a female sufficiently beautiful and shapely, would be almost worth the trouble of having her blundering about in the assembly! But unfortunately we cannot allow ourselves that sort of luxury. Our forefathers did not know—despite the clear statements of Darwin, Ellis, Feldeer, and many others on the subject—they did not have scientific proof of the inherent mental and emotional limitations of women. Only with the publication of the superb research from the institute of feminology did we finally obtain the proof. And it is to our credit that we then moved so swiftly to set right the wrongs that we had, in our lamentable ignorance, inflicted. We saw then that the concept of female “equality” was not simply a kind of romantic notion—like the “Nobel Savage” fad of an earlier era—rather, it was a cruel and dangerous burden upon the females of our species, a burden under which they labored all innocent and unawares . . . the victims, it can only be said, of male ignorance. There are some who criticize, saying that it should not have taken us a generation to provide our females with the Constitutional protection they so richly deserved and so desperately needed. But I feel that those who criticize are excessive in their judgments. It takes time to right wrongs—it always takes time. The more widespread the problem, the more time required to solve it. I think that a span of a single generation was a remarkable speedy resolution, and a matter for considerable pride for the institution of the female welfare office—let us, gentlemen, lay those criticisms to rest for once and for all.

Department head of the Female Welfare Office speaking at the Banquet in honor of its 30th anniversary
    Last edited by Ulver; 05-09-2017, 07:04 PM.

That's just too good.

Comment

Working...
    X