Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A note regarding language usage - American English VS British.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharkey
    replied
    As a Brit, I would normally say British English, but as the scenario is set in the US it is only correct that we use American English.

Leave a comment:

• MaxDS
    replied
    I would agree with Jefferson and style should match the story. I would say it is the first time we have forced our design into a specific world context.

Leave a comment:

• Gayr Umarov
    replied
    American English, please.

Leave a comment:

• Ulver
    replied
    I confess I just never notice these things. I’d say it is because I’m not a native English speaker but I just re-read Ibsen’s Dollhouse and pretty much finished before noticing it was in Norwegian and not Danish. I guess my brain is simply not wired to notice these things.

Leave a comment:

• MercifulRevan
    replied
    Speaking as an American, I prefer British spelling. That being said, I honestly don't much notice or care about the spelling of certain words (color, colour; realise, realize, etc.). I agree with mackaie that from a lore standpoint, it makes sense to use American English. From a writing standpoint, however, I just don't see the difference. If you are used to British spelling, use it.

Just my two pence!

Leave a comment:

• mackaie
    replied
    If setting in America or areas controlled by an American based (if world wide) company then American English makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• A note regarding language usage - American English VS British.

As I understand it, Selecta is a Yank who long ago moved to Australia and has since gone native, as evidenced by such word choices as “colour” and “evangelise”. All of the games and arcana thus far have been presented as taking place in America, a pseudo-America, or in African colonies. Thus, when I do the spell and grammar check, I change all spelling, mechanics, and structure to American English, MLA specifically. I have also altered the odd idiom, but left others alone. For example, I had never heard of eating pussy as “a heater” until I read the text in these games, but to change it would have significantly altered gameplay, so I left that alone.

I graded college essays for over five years that were literally ON how to write essays [college prep for incoming students who needed help], so I am a professional and screaming grammar Nazi – I pick the nits. Therefore, I think we need to make a formal call for continuity’s sake about what format to follow. This is less because of my pedantry than a desire to improve game flow. Before I do what all grammar Nazis do – make enemies – I want to know specifically how we as a community want to proceed. Again, I think it is a confusing and serious error to mix styles. I vote for American English, or to stage the SC universe in Europe.
Working...
X