Rethinking the Church Concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rethinking the Church Concept

I've been ruminating on a plan for a rework of the church concept. I'll get back to yall sometime in the week with some more tangible. Just to give you a feel (in case i don't find time to write a big post), I've been mulling over something a longer format "adventure", potentially in a few parts, perhaps even more than one title (if we can find enough content to justify it).
    While i'm still thinking what the core gameplay loop will be, i think the concept should be executed in three "parts".

The core objective being about taking over three 'priestesses'; Pagan, Judeo-Christian and Atheistic.

In terms of how this departs from our previous proposal, each "adventure" will be a road trip whereby the PC will move from place building support to undermine the priestess. While a lot of the features we discussed can potentially be recycled, this will be much "on-rails" with the player choice relating mostly to what order in which they want to take charge. One deviation I propose is that the take-over of the priestess should happen towards the MIDDLE of the adventure, not the end (perhaps even slightly earlier), with the rest of the adventure dedicated to corrupting her and her entourage. In other words, most the gameplay "difficulty" will be front-loaded in the first 20-30 minutes of what should be a 1-2 hour experience, with replayability lying in the various permutations of increasingly twisted loops you can put the priestess and her entourage through.

Some spins on concepts we tossed around in the discussion for this title
    Hiring a fetish model to be the "voice of the prophet"
    While i liked the idea proposed by SC, i honestly felt it was not "dark enough"; as such, i'd propose having the priestess be her own, increasingly desperate mouthpiece until you take her over, then yours after, showing her gradual descent into moral bankruptcy, sexual submission and servitude. This will allow us to recycle a fun concept we've explored in SotU, but take it one step further as well.
    A religious "tenet tree" we can progress through
    We could have a tenet tree, complete with progression requirements, but instead of a full-blown RPG system, we could simply have it as a visual representation of meaningful choices that the player will make during the course of an otherwise on-rail experience. In other words, the player will still make choices as to what "narrative" constitutes the tenets of his religion, but those will be as an integral part of compulsory event chains (as opposed to this being a "gamified" part of a wider RPG system).
    Recruiting followers and getting to preach for you
    Narratively, we can still have followers who, will, after acquisition, preach for you, but in the game sense, these followers will instead be glorified "items" that you hold in your inventory for subsequent use (rather than persistent pawns on a grand digital tabletop)

Before you go too far, I've been thinking about this too. I hope to share a new design doc-- prolly next week!
    Always working behind the scenes

Comment

Interesting idea, looking forward to hearing from both of you.

Forgive me if this is stupid, I'm mentally blarg this morning it seems but when I read your post Le_Wang, my first thought was that it works really well for one priestess and maybe one should select which lady your going for at start to give extra replayability. Then realize that is probably not what your going for yet I'm looking at your post and, again this maybe I'm being an idiot, but I'm struggling to quite see how all three fit. So is it 1) select a lady at start (which I don't think your going for) so one next game selects another lady, 2) You do one priestess at start then once you have corrupted her enough (but still getting chance to corrupt her further during next stages) you go onto second harder target, 3) you can target all three at same time.

Comment

mackaie

You're not mentally blarg; the reason why it's not clear how the game will play out that mechanic is because i deliberately left it open (sorry about giving you a headache early in the morning, btw). There's quite a few ways to execute on that idea, for example

a) Divide the map into three parts, each dominated by one "priestess", and give the player the privilege of choosing which one he grabs first
        b) Divide the game into three distinct phases, with you attacking each priestess one at a time in an arbitrary order - this can reconnect with the idea of a divided map (or not)

A more creative approach would be
        c) Have the game take place over a single game map, but at the start of the game, the player can choose which of the three priestesses is in control
        In essence, this isn't different from the divided map approach, but you instead get to make each conquest feel more epic, rather than a fraction of the whole. If you're willing to make an investment, you can potentially create three different narrative flavors for the same locale and people as well. Also optional would be allowing the "non-dominant" priestesses to exist is "minor players" that you can fuck around with.

Regardless of which approach we choose, i think that the three archetypes i mentioned are compelling enough in their own right to justify being explored in their own right.

Comment

Yesterday, my tired mind was such that "I like pie" would probably have confused me!

On the three options

a) That is fine, we know it works but it risk being one sandbox and complete.

b) That would allow a story driven on the rails game (I assume sandbox would allow one to choose when you moved onto next section) and I like it. My question long term would be how much we allow you to play with fallen priestess once your onto the next section and how much player points it would take up that you need to defeat the current challenge.

c) would require a lot of effort certainly but a lot of replayability as one sees the difference between each one, how it alters everyone around her. The non dominant priestesses would, for replayability sake, need to only do minor things too compare to when they are the big bad

Comment

Have you played Corrupting the priestess? It's a relatively small game and really well done, you might want to check it out if your looking for inspiration...

https://www.tfgamessite.com/?module=viewgame&id=837

Comment

I think the initial concept was very broad, which of course lead to a VERY broad and moving target in terms of a game concept... I think this has potential and will see what Selecta comes up with... I'm sure I'll be in a more stable state (literally and metaphorically) to see what's come of this idea.
              #CufflinksForever

Comment

Sorry all-- been focusing on Demeter-- upon return, should have a prototype of what I'm thinking for you to consider
                Always working behind the scenes

Comment

anything I can do to help, just let me know

Comment

At this point, we've put this project on hiatus. If you have any input on ideas, concepts, etc. We will still gladly take them and pick them up when we return to this project.
                    #CufflinksForever

Comment

the comic slave fair 3 by erenisch features a church of male supremacy ran by female cultists, it is a good template and starting ground for this games concept, train female priestesses to spread the word of the patriarchy and preach female inferiority, recruit and indoctrinate new followers, reward members who are able to convert new followers, be able to have sex or rape your followers, have members seceretly subvert important roles in the government to change laws or curriculums to help spread your patriarchy faith, etc

Comment

Working...
                      X