(ART) Art for this game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(ART) Art for this game

While we are still nailing down key mechanics, narrative, etc, O do think the game basis is solid enough to begin commissioning some basic art. I have a cartographer who has accepted the game map commission and I have given an illustrator a basic commission to see if their work is suitable for the game. I'll be posting concept art in this thread going forward!
    Always working behind the scenes

Can't wait to see what transpires.

My nun senses are on high alert.

Comment

OK, so here's first draft of map from cartographer. I told them we'd come back after I got feedback. My own feedback-- I think font is too fantasy-ish, there will be more locations, I'm wondering if adding highways would work and in general want it more modern and a tad starker-- any thots?

Comment

• mackaie
      mackaie commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe make the writing a little larger? Maybe towns could have a bigger circle and yes, more signs of modern life likes roads. I do think the map looks nice though

• Jefferson
      Jefferson commented
      Editing a comment
      Any need to waste that much space on water?at least 1/3 is ocean, and a fair chuck of land is so peninsular that it would be hard to place writing or features. There;s SO much water that it feels like that would have to feature into the story - like half of it would be on boats or something.

• Selectacorp
      Selectacorp commented
      Editing a comment
      tks all-- it has to fit the horizontal. I'll ask her to absorb more space and modernise it

OK, so first batch of illos-- as the PC concentrates on inducting NPC members, these illos would represent the progression from Unbeliever, Convert, Initiate Adept, Magus and Hierophant

Feedback appreciated!

Click image for larger version

Name:	02_Convert sm.png
Views:	175
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	13262Click image for larger version

Name:	04_Adept sm.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	13263Click image for larger version

Name:	01_Unbeliever sm.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	13264Click image for larger version

Name:	06_Hierophant sm.png
Views:	178
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	13265Click image for larger version

Name:	05_Magus sm.png
Views:	179
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	13266Click image for larger version

Name:	03_Initiate sm.png
Views:	175
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	13267

Comment

• Selectacorp
      Selectacorp commented
      Editing a comment
      These are for the NPCs actually-- it is the progression from unbeliever to full on high priest type NPC

• mackaie
      mackaie commented
      Editing a comment
      My bad.

Swap Unbeliever and Initiate around? One looks happier then the other. Will there be female version? Otherwise they look good.

• Selectacorp
      Selectacorp commented
      Editing a comment
      If they are ok, I was planning on commissioning female versions!

A bit late to this party but...

On the map:
    (a) I feel that there's too much empty space between places
    This works for a fantasy map as typically, settlements were few, small, and far between, but for a modern setting, doesn't really feel right. Large tracks of uninhabited land are usually either dense forest, reserved for agriculture (pasture, crops, etc) or mountainous. Doesn't feel right to have flat fertile land not being used for anything in this day and age.

(b)I feel that regions should be separated by district lines, rather than dots, with the scale of each urban center illustrated by a sprawl of buildings.
    Modern settlements typically spam multiple kilometers. A lone dot just doesn't work.

(c)To voice what jefferson said; too much water - zoom the map down, or expand land, but we're just looking at dead space that the player will never interact with otherwise.
    Also, i don't feel we're getting a lot of value out of the game being based on a peninsula, rather than inland (where we don't even have to waste map space on seawater); the coolest feature you can have have on a peninsula is an island of sorts off the coast (connected by a natural land-bridge, or an artificial one)

(d)Kind of hard to figure out what kind of place does what just based on the maps.
    I mean, it's all green. Which part is residential, which part is urbanized, etc.
    Contrast this to this IRL map of southern India.
    https://www.google.mu/maps/@9.324758...!3m1!1e3?hl=en
    Maybe you can use an editing tool to copy/paste the urban sprawl background onto the map?

(e)Question of taste i guess, but many of the settlement names feel too fantasy fiction
    west-something, north-something, east-something - I think one of those is ok, but all of them? Might as well go ahead and name a settlement southtown (don't that would be ripping off fatal fury). Other names, like ambervale, have a really cookie cutter fantasy fiction feel to them. Maybe we should just be parodying IRL location names; e.g. New Leeds, parodying New York, BullFord (Oxford) etc.

(f)Are we going to be using all of these settlements?
    Again, districts would really help pin down the major interactive areas, but it really feels like a lot of places to click on the map outright.

On cultists:
    (a) I think that it makes sense for less and less of the face to become visible
    i.e. stage 1 - Cloth covering, but not an outright hood (they are just covering their heads with w/e they find)
    Stage 2 - Hood (The actual pointy thing with the lining)
    Stage 3 - Half-Mask (they still have some degree of free-will, as demonstrated by the half-facial expression still visible)
    Stage 4 - Full-mask (emphasizing the point that their personality has been absorbed by the cult)
    P/S; for the sake of aesthetics, i'd use a more elaborate half-mask to separate stage 3 from stage 4 female acolytes? It's kind of a cop-out, but i think that female cultists SHOULD feel sexier than male ones.

(b) I think we should have multiple versions of the cultist masks/color palettes to account for each religious "flavor" that the player might want to embrace.Red/White with cross-like symbolism (on the mask forehead, for example) for the anglo-christian flair.
    Green/Red for the old faith (masks with a more animal styles)
    Guy Fawkes for those who want to roleplay their anon fantasies
    Gold+Purple for those who want to just look FABULOUS (gilded masks)

Comment

• Jefferson
      Jefferson commented
      Editing a comment
      Wang - does your IRL job focus on details? You excel at this.

• Selectacorp
      Selectacorp commented
      Editing a comment
      The map will get filled in with a LOT more locations-- I agree on the fantasy look too. I'm getting back to cartographer today with next level of details. The names were in the game design doc but they can be changed- maybe look at that as an initial list and suggest alternatives-- but we have time to edit

On art, will keep it in mind, Before commissioning everything, I'll use these as placeholders (and I have to commission a few other bits). I really want to get a working prototype before investing too much more as it might get chucked out, depending on how the proto goes.

On that note, my plan to to start the proto after the next map draft is ready. It won't look great but it should give a sense of gameplay (I did this with last 2 games and it helped avoid a LOT of dramas)

My thing for the water: put an island on it for mid-late game spot.
    #CufflinksForever

Comment

• Selectacorp
      Selectacorp commented
      Editing a comment
      OK-- I'll ask mapmaker to add an island or two!

OK-- here's latest from the mapmaker:

"I've placed all the names you sent me. Please check and make sure you like
    where they are. I can shift things easily right now, so if you want any
    changes, or different locations, let me know.

The rest of the locations will be inside the cities on the city maps.

There are already a few islands on the map, so where would you like the new
    ones?

Do you want the travel scale? If so, can you give me the distance between
    any two named points and I can do the rest. You can use whatever units you
    want -- miles, kms, hours driving, etc.

How much of the right hand space will you need for the UI? Is there room
    at the bottom for a legend?"

They are also doing several city minimaps, which will contain locations as well

Any feedback appreciated!
    Attached Files

Comment

• mackaie
      mackaie commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks fuller, some of the village names are a little small or just me? A travel scale might be a nice touch

Here's the first city map-- lots of things will happen in the cities, which will have special locations and characters!
    Attached Files

Comment

• mackaie
      mackaie commented
      Editing a comment
      Hopefully our own things like NPC's and relics will add a bit more color. Gives nice sense of city, some nice green spaces, lake maybe a tad bigger?

• Selectacorp
      Selectacorp commented
      Editing a comment
      there will be a few city maps so am sure we'll have variety
Working...
X