Unable to play videos on any game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to play videos on any game

Hi! I am a big fan of the games, enough to support you guys on Patreon, although this is obviously my first time on the forums. I am having trouble playing any of the video across multiple different games. I basically just unzip the game into its own folder, and it runs fine, but none of the video plays. I am using Win10 and I am running the Launch_Story.exe file. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Flash since that was an issue, and I can't find the security update that was recommended to remove on my system in another post at all. The Flash version I am using is 22,0,0,209. I would really appreciate any assistance!

Thanks for your support! I'll ask Seph about this and get back to you!
    Always working behind the scenes

Comment

I was speaking with Ulver and he gave me the idea to run the games off of my web server. If I upload all the files and run the html, I can get it to work without any issue, so I don't THINK it's a flash problem. I still can't run the videos (in the game, I can play them just from the folder) off of the computer, but it's a solid workaround.

Comment

Hey Glocke, welcome to the forums! I was wondering if I could get a bit more info about your issue? When you say none of the videos play does that include the starting cutscene that shows the selectacorp logo? That video is different than the rest in how it's put into the game so just trying to see if it's all or just the ones loaded locally like the student and staff videos. Also when the videos do not play do you still see the video player and just nothing shows up or is the spot where the video is supposed to be just a blank white space? You're not the only person we have had report issues but unfortunately I've been unable to replicate it on any of my test machines so I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can to narrow things down.

Comment

I can play the opening/intro video without any issues, so I imagine that means just the one loaded locally. And when the video is supposed to play, I do still see the video player, obviously with the buttons greyed. I suspect its something to do with how they're loaded, but I don't know enough about this sort of thing to figure that out.

Comment

Originally posted by glocke View Post
            I can play the opening/intro video without any issues, so I imagine that means just the one loaded locally. And when the video is supposed to play, I do still see the video player, obviously with the buttons greyed. I suspect its something to do with how they're loaded, but I don't know enough about this sort of thing to figure that out.
            Gotcha, that is the same as we have seen with a few other users as well. I agree that I don't believe it is a flash issue at this point, it is loading the video API but just not actually getting the file. What is your default media player? I know you can open the files outside the game but I want to do some testing to make sure it loads into SL2 ok. The fact that they play in the browser confirms the videos are in the right location with correct names and formatting so we are looking most likely at some incompatibility between the video player/codec and SL2 or some other application conflict.

Comment

My default is VLC but I tried changing those video type default to Media Player Classic to see if that would make any difference (which it didn't)

Comment

My default is VLC but I tried changing those video type default to Media Player Classic to see if that would make any difference (which it didn't)
                Alright, same players I use so shouldn't be a problem there. If you don't mind download and test out this file for me. It has multiple videos embedded and encoded in different ways. Let me know which (if any) work for you both in the game and via the web browser. There is no javascript in this so you don't need to host it via a web server, you can simply execute the .html file.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a6...ine_output.rar

Comment

I tried it both ways (.exe and html) and was unable to get the videos to work with the .exe. The web browser I get the 'web object feature on this slide has been disabled while viewing locally because your browser does not support it' that I get trying to run the html on the games. As for the .exe, it's the same 'greyed out' buttons on a video player, except for the .flv one which is a black box with the 'no circle' in the top corner. I hope any of that helps!

Comment

It does, it confirms it's a software conflict causing the issue. The three mp4 files are all valid for SL2 with the third one encoded by SL2 itself just like the embedded videos such as the starting cutscene. The other three are actually invalid for SL2 and shouldn't show up at all. The fact that the three mp4 files would not load but still showed a player and the .flv was even recognized points to some other application taking over or conflicting with the SL2 internal player. The .exe uses flash encoding while the .html uses html5 video so it seems only the flash based video is effected. Also sorry about the misinformation with the .html file, it will play but only in some browsers it would seem. I tested the file with a fresh install of windows 10 with both no updates and all updates and it played without issue so it is most likely a 3rd party application. This is where things get a bit more complicated and I fully understand if you don't want to pursue it further as I would need to start getting more info about your machine such as a list of all installed applications. If you would like to continue just shoot me a PM, nothing I need would compromise your security or privacy but it would just be long lists of technical info that wouldn't really be of much use on the public threads.

Comment

hi ^_^ i'm a patreon on your site and i'm subscribe on this forum a few months ago, i think , i've the same problem of glocke and i understand that this not run of video file is not 'cause a flash player encoded but a ssitem conflict, i hope that you fix this problem, meanwhile if need my help, for test and data of my pc, i'm glad to help you. thanks and sorry for my bad bad english XD

Comment

Hey I have the same problem with CR3 and ML lastest version. CR1&2 work just fine. But my OS is win7 Ulimate 64bits. For the potential "3rd party application" issue. I installed the whole new OS just with flashplayer for test. It gave me the same result.

I tried it both ways (.exe and html) and was unable to get the videos to work with the .exe. The web browser I get the 'web object feature on this slide has been disabled while viewing locally because your browser does not support it' that I get trying to run the html on the games. As for the .exe, it's the same 'greyed out' buttons on a video player, except for the .flv one which is a black box with the 'no circle' in the top corner. I hope any of that helps!
                        I hope you guys solve the problem eventually. I really enjoy these games.

Comment

Same issue as everyone else
                          Last edited by cajun; 08-03-2016, 09:09 AM.

Comment

I had the same issues last week with the new game after it had worked previously and it has now righted itself. I did very little in the way of updates so curious whether my issues were a temporary loading error or if an auto update was installed that I failed to notice.

Comment

Any word here? I have this problem with CR 1 & 2 (haven't tried 3 yet). A few of the videos play, but most don't. (I believe none of the .mp4s play.) I can doubleclick them in the folder and they play fine, however.

I tried the "play in a browser" workaround, but when I try to launch the game that way I just get a spinning circle forever. When launching from the exe everything works except the videos.

Comment

• dubsington
                                dubsington commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Update: The trick was to actually get at the content through a webserver, not just browse the HTML files locally. I moved the stuff into a webserver docroot and spun up an Apache, then could play the games just fine. No sound on any video, but I think that is deliberate.
                            Working...
                            X