Bitcoin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bitcoin?

I recently had an offer to support with Bitcoin. I couldn't accept because we're not set up for it and I don't really understand how it works operationally.

Anyone think this is worth exploring/setting up at this stage? Any of you guys use Bitcoin?
    Always working behind the scenes

Nope. and Nope.
    #CufflinksForever

Comment

It is pretty easy to set up a bit coin wallet - https://bitcoin.org/en/getting-started

I have never used it and have no idea if there would be any point. I can only assume that whoever offered support wanted total assurance of anonymity.

Since patreon doesn’t support supporting with bit coin you’d have to keep track of contributions manually. If you think it is worth the hassle I don’t see why you’d decline support.

Comment

I doubt it would be worth it. I use bitcoin here and there and it's easy to use but it's not prevalent enough to bother with I'd say.

Comment

Definitely not worth it. Most people will use something like Paypal instead.

Comment

I use bitcoin, highly recommend it. Excluding the values of BTC as a currency, here are some pros/cons of using it as a payment system:

PRO:
            1. No risk of assets being frozen. Paypal / Patreon have shut accounts down before, bitcoin doesn't rely on a central authority for approval.
            2. Low transaction fees. Transferring BTC has a small, flat fee. There's no platform taking a cut of your money, like there is with Patreon/Paypal/Credit Cards in general.
            3. Relatively anonymous. I'm not sure how many people out there would like to support you, but hesitate due to fear of their name being associated with a shadowy corporation like Selectacorp ...But I bet it's a number larger than zero!
            4. Past results are not indicative of future performance and all that...But BTC/USD value has been steadily, exponentially rising since it's inception.

CON:
            1. Requires some initial setup, though there are plenty of how-to guides out there.
            2. Can't buy everything with BTC yet, so you'd need to convert it to your local currency before buying your kinky office supplies, or what have you.
            3. Risk of becoming a Bitcoin fanatic and staring at charts in between evangelizing it's merits on niche internet forums like this one.

Comment

• Selectacorp
              Selectacorp commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the quick rundown nightz-- I wish I'd done something about it considering how it has just gone thru the roof! You snooze, you lose! (You=me)
          Working...
          X